Homemade Jalapeño Jelly has a perfect sweet and spicy combination you will want to slather on everything. It will become a staple in your fridge or freezer from now on!
Homemade Jalapeño Jelly
Jalapeno jelly will become a tried and true recipe your family enjoys for years to come. It takes less than 20 minutes to prepare and delivers the perfect sweet and spicy flavor that keeps you coming back for more. This jelly is perfect to make in large batches and freeze to use later or share with friends and family.
Doubling this recipe or even tripling it is helpful because each jar you make will disappear fast! It is a vibrant jelly that goes great with everything! Spread it on buttered toast at breakfast, use it to spice up a Monte Cristo sandwich at lunch, or enjoy a perfect snack of crackers with cream cheese and pepper jelly.
Jalapeño Jelly Ingredients:
With just a handful of ingredients you can make the perfect homemade jelly. It can be hard to find a jalapeno jelly in the store. Especially one with the perfect amount of spice. That’s why making it at home is so awesome. It gives you complete control over the spice level and the quality of all the ingredients that go into the jelly.
- Jalapeno Peppers: Seeded and cubed for a milder flavor. Leave the seeds in for more spice!
- Red and Green bell peppers:Cubed and finely chopped in the food processor to add bits of sweet pepper flavor throughout the jelly.
- Sugar: Sweetness you expect in a jelly.
- Apple cider vinegar: Bring the vinegar to a boil then simmer for 10 minutes before adding in pectin to get a perfect jelly texture.
- Liquid pectin: Used to thicken the jelly.
How to Make Jalapeño Jelly From Scratch:
Making jelly from scratch is a must try for any home chef. It is much easier and quicker than you would expect and makes the perfect jelly every time!
- Chop peppers: In a food processor add the jalapeño, green bell pepper and red bell pepper. Pulse until finely chopped. Transfer to a large saucepan.
- Boil and simmer: Add the sugar and apple cider vinegar and bring to a boil. Then, reduce heat and let simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add pectin: Mix in the liquid pectin and continue to simmer for 5 minutes. Next, remove from heat and let cool.
- Store: Lastly, transfer to jars and refrigerate.
FAQ About Jalapeño Jelly:
- How do you keep peppers from floating to the top? Stir jelly a couple of times as it cools to evenly spread out the peppers.
- How spicy is Jalapeno pepper jelly? It can be as spicy or as mild as you like it. Leave the seeds completely out or add some or all of them in for a spicier version. Also, jalapenos that are starting to turn red or brown will be spicier than solid green peppers. If you just aren’t getting as much spice as you would like you can add a pinch of red pepper flake in for even more spice.
- Why isn’t my jelly setting up? Many times too much liquid in your peppers is the cause of a runny jelly. Be sure to drain them and dry them completely before adding them in.
How Long Can I Store Homemade Jelly?
Be sure to store in a sealed glass jar in a cool, dry place and it will be good for up to two years Once opened, it needs to be stored in the refrigerator and it will last for up to 3 months. It is important you properly sanitize before packing, so carefully follow these canning guidelines.
- Wash your hands: Anytime you prepare food, be sure to wash your hands well to avoid contaminating the food. This is especially important when canning food that will be stored for a such long period of time.
- Cleaning: Wash the jar with hot water and soap.
- Sanitize: Place the glass jar in boiling water for 10 minutes. Also put tips of tongs in the water. Use the tongs to pull out the jar when it is finished.
More Made from Scratch Recipes:
Homemade Jalapeño Jelly
- 10 Jalapeno Peppers seeded and cubed
- 1 green bell pepper cubed
- 1 red bell pepper cubed
- 5 cups sugar
- 1 and 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 package liquid pectin
Add the sugar and apple cider vinegar and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and let simmer for 10 minutes.