Skillet French Onion Chicken is a tender and creamy chicken dinner recipe that is easy to make at home, and is better than you anything you can find at a restaurant. Your family will be so impressed with this incredibly delicious meal, and it will become a favorite right away!
Skillet French Onion Chicken
No need to go out to enjoy a luxurious meal, this homemade dinner will be one of the best chicken skillet dinners you have ever had. The tender chicken breasts are seasoned with a perfect blend of subtle flavors and coated with a thick, broiled layer of ooey-gooey cheese. The sweet caramelized onion is the secret to the incredibly delicious flavor of the entire recipe and will make you want to scrape your plate clean!
The one pan method of cooking makes this a great choice for a busy evening or just a night you don’t want tons of dishes to clean up. Also, using the same skillet to cook every element infuses the flavors all throughout and makes a great cohesive dish that tastes like it took you all day to make. Everyone will love this chicken because it is so good!
French Onion Chicken Ingredients:
With just a few ingredients you most likely have on hand, you can put together the most incredible meal for your family. These shopping list staples come together to make the BEST french onion chicken.
- Oil: Adds amazing flavor to the chicken as it cooks in the skillet.
- Onions sliced: Saute until they are sweet and caramelized.
- Chicken breasts: Pound them out to an even thickness.
- Salt and pepper: The salt brings out the flavors so season generously to your taste preference.
- Butter: Let the butter melt in the pan, then whisk in flour until it is combined to create the base of the sauce.
- Flour: Whisk into the butter for the roux. This will be the thickening agent for the creamy sauce.
- Beef broth: Add to the roux and let it simmer until it starts to thicken.
- Dried oregano and thyme: These two seasonings are perfect, but you can also use an Italian seasoning mix if that’s what you have on hand.
- Swiss and Provolone cheese: Sprinkle both cheeses over the top of the chicken and broil to create the perfect melty cheese crust.
How to Make Skillet Chicken:
A delicious, crowd-pleasing and comforting meal at home is easier than you’d think. You only need one pan and 30 minutes to make this family favorite meal! It is so quick and easy, and it will become your go-to weeknight meal.
- Saute onions: In a large skillet over medium high heat add the oil and sliced onions. Sauté until caramelized 7-10 minutes. Remove and set aside on a plate.
- Cook chicken: Add in the chicken breasts and cook on each side for 3-4 minutes or until cooked throughout and no longer pink. Set aside with the onions.
- Whisk together sauce: Add in the butter and let melt and add the flour and whisk until combined. Add the beef broth, oregano, and thyme and salt and pepper to taste and let simmer for 1-2 minutes until it starts to thicken.
- Combine all ingredients: Reduce heat to a simmer and add chicken and onions back to the dish. Top with shredded Swiss cheese and provolone.
- Broil: Place dish in oven and broil for 1-2 minutes or until cheese is melted.
Tips for French Onion Chicken:
This chicken is filled with the flavor you crave in a delicious french onion soup. It tastes fancy, but it is so simple and easy to make. Here are some simple tips to keep in mind when making this meal at home.
- Serve with: This chicken would go great with a side of steamed rice or broccoli, a fresh Arugula salad, or asparagus.
- Chicken: Pound the chicken to a thin and even thickness, or butterfly the breast for a quicker cook time. Make sure the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees.
- Storing: This chicken will save well in the refrigerator for a week. You can also freeze it and thaw in the refrigerator overnight.
- Re-heating: To warm your chicken back up, you can microwave it for one minute at a time. Or cover it with aluminum foil and place it in a 350 degree oven for 15-20 minutes.
More Skillet Chicken Recipes:
- California Avocado Skillet Chicken
- One Skillet Chicken Pot Pie
- Queso Skillet Chicken
- Coconut Lime Skillet Chicken
- Tuscan Garlic Skillet Chicken
Skillet French Onion Chicken
- 2 Tablespoons Oil
- 2 large onions sliced
- 4 chicken breasts
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 2 Tablespoons flour
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 cup swiss shredded
- 8 slices provolone cheese
In a large skillet over medium high heat add the oil and sliced onions. Sauté until caramelized 7-10 minutes. Remove and set aside on a plate. Add in the chicken breasts and cook on each side for 3-4 minutes or until cooked throughout and no longer pink. Set aside with the onions.
Add in the butter and let melt and add the flour and whisk until combined. Add the beef broth, oregano, and thyme and salt and pepper to taste and let simmer for 1-2 minutes until it starts to thicken.
Reduce heat to a simmer and add chicken and onions back to the dish. Top with shredded Swiss cheese and provolone. Broil for 1-2 minutes until cheese is melted.