Baked Soft Pretzels are soft and chewy on the inside with the perfect salty golden exterior. This recipe will walk you through these easy homemade pretzels with step by step instructions!
Even if you have never made a pretzel before, this homemade soft pretzel is an easy no-fail recipe that is safe for beginners. Delicious results are possible every time you put together this short list of ingredients that you most likely have in your kitchen right now. Just a few minutes is all it takes to have a warm soft pretzel ready to dip in your favorite cheese or mustard dip.
This is the best recipe because it doesn’t call for letting the dough rise overnight. It is a faster version that will take less time than you think and will turn out better than what you can buy from a store. The warm fresh from the oven pretzel is worth every minute. Not to mention the amazing smell they fill your kitchen with as they bake! They will be a huge hit and will be quickly devoured by kids or adults!
Soft Pretzels Ingredients:
A few basic ingredients come together and create a comforting snack or lunch that is both filling and satisfying. The baking soda bath creates the iconic golden exterior with a soft and chewy center that is amazing!
- Warm water: Use the warm water to proof the yeast.
- Active dry yeast: The yeast causes the dough to rise. To proof it add it to warm water and let it sit for about 5 minutes until it becomes bubbly.
- Sugar: A hit of sweetness to balance out the saltiness.
- Salt: To add a bit of saltiness throughout the dough.
- 3 cups flour: All purpose flour will create a fluffy dough.
- Vegetable oil: Place oil on top of the already kneaded dough ball then allow it to rise.
- Hot water: To dip the pretzel dough in before baking.
- Baking soda: Creates the color and texture you expect from a soft and golden pretzel.
- Coarse salt: Sprinkle coarse salt as topping to your taste preference.
- Optional dips: Cheese dip or mustard.
How to Make Homemade Pretzels:
Making delicious soft pretzels we all love from a stand is easier than you think. These step by step instructions will walk you through how to make the perfect pretzel time after time. This will quickly become a tried and true family favorite recipe!
- Proof yeast: In a stand mixer add the warm water and yeast. Allow the yeast to proof and become bubbly about 5 minutes.
- Mix in ingredients: With the dough hook attached, mix in the sugar, salt and flour one cup at a time with dough hook attached. If dough is too dry add in 1 tablespoon more of water. Remove the dough out of the bowl and knead into a ball. Place dough into a large bowl and add the oil on top.
- Let dough rise: Cover and let rise until doubled.
- Prep oven: Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Create pretzel shape with dough: Divide the dough into 6 equal pieces. Then roll each piece into a long rope and twist into a pretzel shape.
- Wet pretzel dough and add salt: Line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Add the hot water and baking soda together in a medium sized bowl. Dip the pretzel into the bowl and place onto the baking sheets. Sprinkle the top with coarse sea salt.
The Recipe Critic Pro Tip:
If you skip baking soda bath then you will need to set your oven to broil for the last 5 minutes of your bake time. Or use an egg wash of one beaten egg instead.
One of the best things about these homemade soft pretzels is knowing every ingredient that went into them. Plus, you can make them your own by adding different toppings or serving with your choice of dip.
- Presentation: Instead of twisting the dough into a classic pretzel shape, cut it into pretzel bites instead.
- Pretzel: Create an amazing dessert pretzel easily by leaving out the salt and brushing with butter and cinnamon sugar after baking instead. Or add pepperoni in the last few minutes of baking for a pepperoni pretzel
Storing Homemade Soft Pretzels:
You can make these pretzels ahead to enjoy on demand. Storing them is easy and they keep well. Whether you are storing finished pretzels or dough, a few simple steps can save you time when a pretzel craving hits.
For Baked pretzels:
- Store at room temperature: Cover with a dish towel and keep them in a storage container at room temperature for up to 2 days.
- Refrigerate: To keep your finished pretzels fresh longer, store them in the refrigerator for up to a week
- Freeze: Make ahead a double batch and freeze them for easy lunches and quick snacks. They will freeze well for up to 1 month
- To reheat: Wet the pretzel a bit before heating. Either place it in the oven at 325 for 15-20 minutes or microwave a few seconds at a time until heated through.
- Refrigerate: Dough will last for up to one day when stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
- Freezer: Dough can be frozen for up to 3 months.
- Thaw: To thaw your dough, place it in the refrigerator overnight
- Rest: After thawing your frozen dough, allow it to sit for at least 10 minutes before continuing through the recipe directions.
More Homemade Dough Recipes:
Baked Soft Pretzels
- 1 cup warm water
- 2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 cups hot water
- 1/4 cup baking soda
- coarse salt for topping
- Cheese Dip
In a stand mixer add the warm water and yeast. Allow the yeast to proof and become bubbly about 5 minutes. With the dough hook attached, mix in the sugar, salt and flour one cup at a time with dough hook attached. If dough is too dry add in 1 tablespoon more of water. Remove the dough out of the bowl and knead into a ball. Place dough into a large bowl and add the oil on top. Cover and let rise until doubled.
Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Divide the dough into 6 equal pieces. Roll each piece into a long rope and twist into a pretzel shape.
Line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Add the hot water and baking soda together in a medium sized bowl. Dip the pretzel into the bowl and place onto the baking sheets. Sprinkle the top with coarse sea salt.
Bake for 8-10 minutes or until the tops are golden brown. Serve with cheese dip.