This chimichurri sauce is sweet and savory with a hint of spice and crunch from a tasty red onion. Upgrade your meat or poultry by spreading this flavorful sauce over top creating an intense and delicious flavor every time!
So much flavor is added into this chimichurri sauce. Some like to compare it to this basil pesto sauce but they do have a slight difference in texture and flavoring. Both are delicious sauces that can be added to your favorite protein and vegetables.
Get ready to change and enhance every piece of protein that you have with this chimichurri. It is one of my favorite ways to take a plain steak and turn it to the WOW conversation while eating dinner. It is simple to make and jam packed with flavor. You won’t go wrong with this sauce while cooking your meat, poultry or fish. This is so versatile and adds so much flavor to any dish you are making.
Not only do I love the flavor of this chimichurri sauce but I love the bold vibrant color it creates as it is blended together. Watch the sauce quickly pulse together creating a smooth and creamy sauce. It is thick and rich for that added texture and flavor when adding it to your meal. You will quickly fall in love with this sauce and start adding it to each of your recipes. This is a tried and true favorite in our home!
What is Chimichurri?
Chimichurri is an uncooked sauce that is used as a condiment when grilling meat or poultry. It originally came from South America in the country side of Argentina and Uruguay. this sauce is either a vibrant green or a beautiful red color. The base of this sauce is parsley, oregano, garlic, olive oil and red wine vinegar all mixed together in a blender. Some will add chili pepper or a spicy seasoning too depending on the location.
What does Chimichurri Taste Like?
It is a sweet and tangy sauce that has a grass like color and taste because of the parsley, oregano and cilantro. It does have a strong flavor though all mixed together.
Authentic Chimichurri Ingredients:
Fresh ingredients are best and will make this chimichurri sauce even better. It is a simple recipe that adds all the ingredients into one blender or food processor. Watch it blend into a smooth and creamy condiment that taste so good by the spoonful!
- Parsley: This is a great use of parsley that grows quickly in gardens.
- Cilantro: Has an intense flavoring that adds so much to this sauce.
- Oregano: Fresh is the best way to provide that rich flavoring.
- Garlic Cloves: Again for the most flavor use fresh garlic.
- Red Onion: Slice it and add to the blender to be minced.
- Red Wine Vinegar: This red wine vinegar gives it the perfect touch! White wine vinegar will also work too.
- Olive Oil: Give it a savory flavoring mixed with all the ingredients together.
- Salt and Pepper: To taste!
- Red Pepper Flakes: Add a hint of spice.
Blending Chimichurri Sauce:
Quick and easy to make and tastes amazing with the intense flavoring. It is one of my favorite sauces to make. Store the sauce and enjoy it all year long.
- Blend Together: In a food processor add parsley, cilantro, oregano, garlic, red wine vinegar, olive oil, salt and pepper to taste and red pepper flakes. Pulse until combined and smooth.
- Serve or Store: Serve immediately or refrigerate up to two weeks.
The Recipe Critic Pro Tip:
It is best to use all fresh ingredients to create the most flavorful and rich chimichurri sauce.
Tips to Make Chimichurri Even Better:
- Fresh Ingredients: For best results, make sure to use fresh herbs and spices.
- Chopping by Hand: It will be a little more work but so worth it to finely chop all herbs and onions so it is not chunky. You will want your sauce to be a smooth sauce.
- Food Processor or Blender: Try not to over blend it that it turns out runny. You will want some texture and consistency but enough to be smooth. Find your balance.
- Parsley: It is best to wash and finely chop the parsley. You can measure or just estimate the amount.
- Garlic: I am a garlic lover and can even add in an extra two cloves for a stronger flavor. Once it is mixed together, the garlic continues to add more flavoring over time.
- Red Wine Vinegar: If you need to substitute red wine vinegar, white wine will work or even lemon juice.
- Spice: For little added heat add in a cayenne pepper or even a red chili for a hotter sauce.
Storing Homemade Chimichurri Sauce:
This sauce does not last long at our house but I have been able to double the recipe and store it in the refrigerator and even the freezer.
- Refrigerate: Since it is made with fresh herbs this sauce can be stored in the refrigerator for 1 to 2 weeks at a time. I like to use a mason jar to store it in or any plastic container.
- Can you freeze Chimichurri sauce? Yes! This sauce will store well in the freezer for up to 1 month. When ready to enjoy, thaw overnight in the refrigerator.
What to Serve Chimichurri On:
- Steak: Perfectly Juicy Grilled Steak works perfectly for adding chimichurri overtop.
- Chicken: Either marinade or drizzle over top of the chicken for added flavoring.
- Seafood/Fish: Try it on this Seared Ahi Tuna
- Vegetables: Potatoes and Corn are my go-to vegetable choices.
- Marinade: Add to a ziplock or airtight bag with chicken, seafood or steak and let sit until ready to cook.
- 1 cup parsley
- 1 cup cilantro
- 2 tablespoons fresh oregano
- 5 garlic cloves
- 1/2 cup red onion chopped
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- salt and pepper
- pinch of red pepper flakes
In a food processor add parsley, cilantro, oregano, garlic, red wine vinegar, olive oil, salt and pepper to taste and red pepper flakes. Pulse until combined and smooth.
Serve immediately or refrigerate up to two weeks.