Easy to make recipe for savory & healthy coconut rice! Made with jasmine or basmati rice & creamy coconut milk, this versatile recipe is a perfect side dish. I like to serve this side with my favorite slow cooker carnitas.
We all know rice is a real food staple. It’s cheap, easy to find, allergy-friendly and goes with almost anything.
But sometimes rice can be BORING.
So one night I swapped the water for a can of coconut milk and OH MY HEAVENS, a whole new world opened up.
Who knew coconut rice would be so good?!
Not only is this side dish good, but it is SO EASY!! I only wish I had thought of it sooner! This recipe:
- Is so easy to make and so delicious!
- Uses pantry staples.
- Makes a great side dish to almost any meal.
- Freezes well.
- Can easily be made into a double or triple batch.
Plus it’s a nice change of pace from plain rice!!
And because it’s no more work to make than plain rice, dinner comes together just as fast!
Coconut Rice Recipe Ingredients
One of the reasons I like this recipe so much is because the ingredients are minimal, and I almost always have them on hand.
- White Rice. I usually use Jasmine, but any white rice will work. Brown rice works too, but you need to adjust the cooking time.
- Canned Coconut Milk. Full-fat or lite both work.
- Flaked Coconut. Optional, but it adds to the coconut flavor.
- Coconut Oil. Also optional, but this too adds to the coconut flavor and overall texture.
- Lime Juice. Very optional, but the brightness of lime juice pairs well with the coconut.
- Cilantro. Optional, but adds a nice flavor.
You really ONLY need rice, canned coconut milk, and salt to pull this off, and I’ve made both the slimmed-down version and the extra coconut version. You can’t go wrong with either one!
Can I make coconut jasmine rice?
Yes! I usually use jasmine rice for this recipe, but any white rice will work.
How to Make Coconut Rice
- Combine the rice, coconut milk, and salt in a medium saucepan.
- Bring the mixture to a boil, stir, and reduce the heat to low.
- Cook until the rice is done and the liquid has been absorbed!
What else can I use canned coconut milk for?
What goes with coconut rice?
I like to make coconut rice when I’m making a dish that DOESN’T come with a sauce. The flavors are really nice on their own and make a perfect side dish!
Other Easy Side Dishes
- Instant Pot Steamed Vegetables
- Healthy Green Bean Casserole
- Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes
- Citrus Black Beans
- Easy Roasted Broccoli
Easy to make recipe for savory & healthy coconut rice! Made with jasmine or basmati rice & coconut milk/cream, this versatile recipe is a perfect side dish.
- Prep Time: 5 min
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 3 cups
- Category: Sides
- Method: stovetop
- Cuisine: American
- 1 cup jasmine rice
- 1½ cups coconut water or coconut milk
- 2 Tbsp flaked coconut
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil
- ½ lime, squeezed for juice (or 2 tsp lime juice, also optional)
- fistful of cilantro (optional)
- In a medium saucepan with a lid, stir just to combine rice, water or milk, flaked coconut, oil, and lime juice.
- Bring to a boil, stir well once and cover with lid, reducing heat to low.
- Let rice cook on low for approximately 15 minutes, or until all the liquid has been absorbed.
- Garnish with cilantro, or mix it in. Enjoy!
Continue Reading…Coconut Rice