No more boring beef mince recipes….. Kick off the week with THIS flavour packed Mexican Ground Beef Casserole!! With corn, capsicum/bell peppers and black beans, this rice casserole is juicy, cheesy, and packed with big Mexican flavours.
One pot, quick dinner idea that’s on the table in 30 minutes!
Mexican Ground Beef Casserole with rice
This is essentially the filling for the Mexican Stuffed Peppers I shared a few weeks ago. Why am I bothering?
Because when I share a pork chop recipe on Instagram, people always ask if it can be made with chicken.
When I share a chicken thigh recipe, people always ask if it can be made with breast.
And when I share Mexican Stuffed Peppers, people ask if it can be made without the peppers……
Which actually, as strange as it sounds, I thought was a very valid question because I can imagine how irritating it would be to watch that stuffed peppers video and drool when the juicy beef rice filling comes oozing out, knowing full well you have no peppers in your fridge.
So – here’s the filling recipe which is a Mexican flavoured ground beef casserole made with rice. It’s mouth-wateringly delish!!!
What you need for Mexican Ground Beef Casserole
Here’s what you need. Feel free to substitute the capsicum, born and beans with other vegetables of choice – you need about 5 to 6 cups of diced veggies in total.
How to make this Mexican Rice Casserole
This is a one pot quick dinner that will be on your table in 30 minutes!
Essentially, it starts by browning the beef with onion and garlic, then you add a ton of Mexican spices, rice and liquids then you give it a big stir and let it simmer away on the stove until the rice is tender.
To give it a good slug of extra flavour, I like to stir in cheese as well as green onion for freshness (I also like doing this because I get a kick out of watching the cheese melt into the rice ), top with a bit more cheese, clamp the lid on and leave it for a minute to let the residual heat to melt the cheese.
I love the pops of flavour and texture from the corn and beans – adds extra interest!
Another quick beef mince recipe!
Regular readers know I’m a big fan of beef mince. It’s just so easy – no chopping required, highly versatile. A great flavour absorber, quick to cook.
And this Mexican Rice Casserole is the latest addition to my ground beef recipe collection. Other than Bolognese (which is, without a doubt, the recipe I make most often!), a few of my other favourites include:
- Quick Asian Beef Bowls – there’s a lot of fans of this recipe!!
- Salisbury Steaks – juicy seasoned beef patties smothered in mushroom gravy
- Juicy Italian Meatballs – well, actually, all meatballs!
- Chilli Con Carne, Beef Tacos, Baked Ziti, Baked Spaghetti, Moussaka, Meatloaf, Homemade Hamburger Helper….
I have to stop. I love them all! Of course I do. Otherwise I wouldn’t have shared the recipe!! ~ Nagi x
Watch how to make it
More easy, cosy casseroles
- One Pot Chicken Broccoli Rice Casserole
- Emergency Chicken Rice Casserole (from SCRATCH!)
- Faster Chicken Stew (Casserole)
- Cheeseburger Casserole (Homemade Hamburger Helper)
- Creamy Parmesan Garlic Broccoli Casserole
- One Pot Chicken Enchilada Rice Casserole
Mexican Ground Beef Casserole with Rice (Beef mince!)
Recipe video above. A big juicy pot of beef and rice loaded with Mexican flavours! The rice is tender and perfectly cooked, and the tomato sauce is generously flavoured with a Mexican Spice mix. A quick dinner made in one pot with not much prep!
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion (, finely chopped)
- 3 garlic cloves (, minced)
- 500g 1 lb ground beef ((mince), lean)
- 1/3 cup tomato paste
- 1 1/4 cup white rice ((Note 1))
- 2.5 cups Chicken broth/stock (, low sodium)
- 400g / 14 oz can corn kernels (, drained (Note 2))
- 400g / 14 oz can black beans (, drained (or other beans))
- 1 capsicum/bell pepper (, diced)
- 1 cup green onions/shallots
- 2 cups cheese (, shredded (anything that melts! Note 3))
- 0.5 tsp cayenne pepper ((Note 4))
- 1.5 tbsp dried oregano
- 3 tsp cumin
- 3 tsp coriander
- 3 tsp onion powder
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1.5 tsp salt
- Heat oil in a large pot over high heat. Add garlic and onion, cook 1 1/2 minutes until onion is translucent.
- Add beef and cook, breaking it up as you go, until you no longer see raw meat (about 2 minutes).
- Add Mexican Spices and cook for 30 seconds.
- Add capsicum and cook for 1 minute.
- Add tomato paste and broth, stir to mix in.
- Add rice, corn and black beans.
- Stir, bring to simmer then cover and lower heat to medium low (simmering gently). Cook 15 minutes.
- Remove lid, quickly stir through green onion and HALF the cheese.
- Smooth top then sprinkle on remaining cheese. Cover and leave for 1 minute just to melt cheese.
- Remove from stove and serve immediately, garnished with more green onion if desired.
1. Rice – recipe works best with long grain white rice. Will also work with medium or short white rice grain, “standard” (unspecified) white rice, jasmine* or basmati rice*. Recipe as written won’t work with: brown rice, wild rice, risotto, paella rice, quinoa.
2. Corn – can also use frozen, 1 3/4 cups.
3. Cheese – use anything that melts! Cheddar, mozzarella, tasty, Monterey Jack, Colby.
4. Cayenne adds spiciness, this amount across a vast volume of rice is barely noticeable. Increase or eliminate if desired.
5. Nutrition per serving, this is quite a generous serving (about 2 packed cups, and it’s dense so very filling!). Every cup of cheese adds 100 calories per serving, so if you want to cut back on calories, halve the cheese (don’t skip completely!).
Life of Dozer
This is where he is as I’m writing this post (ie licking his lips at the sight of the photos…):
The post Mexican Ground Beef Casserole with Rice (beef mince!) appeared first on RecipeTin Eats.