THE BEST shrimp tacos loaded with avocado, spicy shrimp, and a homemade creamy lime slaw? HELLO YUMMY!
Affiliate links are marked with an asterisk! ♡
It’s almost hard to talk about these tacos, that’s how much I love them. They truly are THE BEST shrimp tacos.
What we have going on here is delicious spice-loaded shrimp tucked in between smashed avocado and a cabbage slaw that is heavy with a homemade creamy lime sauce. Question: topped with crumbly, salty Cotija cheese, and wrapped in a corn tortilla with a wedge of lime squeezed over the top? Answer: Yes.
More cilantro. More lime. More avocado and spicy shrimp.
The world just seems so right.
Let’s talk more about the sauce for these shrimp tacos.
All you need is sour cream, lime juice, garlic, some herbs, and olive oil. Blitz it all up together and you’re in business.
We’re gonna toss it with some shredded cabbage (see above) and ALSO give these tacos a good shower on top. Because there is no such thing as too much sauce. Especially when it comes to tacos.
Quick tips for making the best Shrimp Tacos:
- How to Prep the Shrimp: It might give you the scaries but I’d recommend getting tail-on shrimp (fresh or frozen) and peel and devein them yourself. Don’t worry – it’s easier than you think.
- Other Ways to Cook the Shrimp: These are made in a skillet, but if the sun is shining and the beer is cold and the grill is hot, then you do you and grill those shrimp! Might be best to get them on some skewers* for a much less frustrating grilling experience.
- Other Sauces for Shrimp Tacos: The Garlic Cilantro Lime Sauce is THE BEST here. But if you need something different due to restrictions or preferences, our Magic Green Sauce or Cilantro Vinaigrette would do the trick.
These shrimp tacos are fast, easy, and give me something to look forward to at the end of the day.
For example: TV and tacos! Late-night work and tacos! Friends and tacos! Hanging out on the deck with the dog and tacos!
Everything is better with tacos.
Cheers to many warm-weather nights with tons and tons of shrimp tacos in your future!
PS. Okay, for people who are extra: these cute little taco holders* will make you feel like you’re at a restaurant and they are worth a browse, if you’re a taco accessory kind of a person (I am).
Check out our video for how to make Spicy Shrimp Tacos:
The Best Shrimp Tacos with Garlic Cilantro Lime Slaw – ready in about 30 minutes and loaded with flavor and texture. SO YUM!
Garlic Cilantro Lime Sauce:
- 1/4 cup oil
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- 1/2 cup cilantro leaves
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- juice of 2 limes
- 1/2 cup sour cream or full-fat Greek yogurt
Shrimp Taco Spice Mix:
- 2 teaspoons each chili powder and cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon each onion powder and garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (more or less to taste)
- 1 teaspoon coarse sea salt
Stuff for the Shrimp Tacos:
- 1 lb. shrimp, peeled and deveined, tails removed
- 2–3 cups shredded green cabbage
- 8 small tortillas (corn or flour)
- avocados, Cotija cheese, and lime wedges for serving
- Sauce: Pulse all the sauce ingredients in a food processor or blender until mostly smooth.
- Slaw: Toss some of the sauce (not all) with the cabbage. We’ll use the leftover sauce to top the tacos.
- Shrimp: Pat the shrimp dry with paper towels. Toss the shrimp in a small bowl with the spice mix to get it coated. Heat a drizzle of oil a large skillet over medium high heat. Add the shrimp to the hot pan and saute for 5-8 minutes, flipping occasionally, until the shrimp are cooked through.
- Assembly: For the prettiest and easiest-to-eat assembly, go in this order: smashed avocado, slaw, and shrimp. Finish with Cotjia cheese, lime wedges, and extra sauce.
For those with extra time on their hands and a heart set on fried shrimp: the beer batter instructions in this recipe work for shrimp, too!
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Sauté
- Cuisine: Mexican
One more thing!
This recipe is part of our collection of best taco recipes. Check it out!