This is the most popular of all chicken breast recipes that I’ve ever published. It’s a JUICY Oven Baked Chicken Breast sprinkled with a magic simple seasoning then baked until caramelised. It’s simple, fast and incredibly tasty!
This incredibly easy chicken recipe is an all time reader favourite alongside Honey Garlic Chicken, Sun Dried Tomato Spinach Stuffed Chicken and this epic Parmesan Crusted Chicken (no breadcrumbs). You’re going to love it!
“We can never have too many really great quick chicken breast recipes!”
A JUICY Baked Chicken Breast!
Though I always stand firm that brown meat is better than white – more flavour, more juiciness – lean chicken breast is a regular in my shopping trolley, week after week.
So today, I’m sharing my recipe for how I make Oven Baked Chicken Breast.
As simple as it sounds, if you wack a seasoned breast in the oven without thought, the chances are you’ll be chewing your way through dry chicken, furiously squirting over copious amounts of ketchup to try to salvage it.
It doesn’t need to be that way. Enter – a fabulous simple, magic chicken seasoning for baked chicken breast:
The Chicken Breast Seasoning
Made with just brown sugar, paprika, oregano, garlic powder, salt and pepper, the secret ingredient in this is brown sugar:
- Makes more seasoning, so you can coat the breast thoroughly and give it a beautiful crust without overpowering it with lots of spices that need longer to cook than chicken breast does; and
- Makes it juicy – the chicken sweat while it bakes, so you end up with wetness that makes the chicken more juicy than the usual baked chicken breast.
Yes it adds sweetness but don’t worry, this baked chicken breast is still savoury!
How long to cook chicken breast
A medium chicken breast will take 18 – 20 minutes to bake at 220C / 425F. Cooking it hard and fast at a high temperature is the secret to gorgeous caramelisation and ultra juicy chicken inside. No dried out breast around here!!
The seasoning for this chicken is actually a really great indicator for when the chicken is cooked to perfection. Basically, once the surface of the chicken is caramelised, it’s cooked to perfection inside so get it out of the oven!
My last tip for a truly great Baked Chicken Breast is to pound it to even thickness, either with a rolling pin, meat mallet or even with your fist (very therapeutic). This has the double effect of even cooking as well as tenderising the meat.
“The secret behind this baked chicken is the simple, magic seasoning”
The most popular of all chicken breast recipes!
This Juicy Oven Baked Chicken Breast is the single most popular of all chicken breast recipes I’ve ever shared.
But don’t believe me. Have a browse of what others have to say! – Nagi x
On the side
- Flavoured Rice Side like Tomato Basil Rice or Mushroom Rice – reader favourite!
- Garlic Butter Rice with Kale (pictured) – one pot carb + veg side
- Italian Dressing, Balsamic or French Vinaigrette for a crunchy garden salad or steamed greens
- Everyday Cabbage Salad (I make this a lot – great standby)
- Lemon Potato Salad or a classic Potato Salad
- No-Knead Soft Dinner Rolls– the easiest fresh bread you’ll ever make!
- Browse all Sides and Potato Sides
More chicken breast recipes readers love!
- Honey Garlic Chicken Breast
- Sun Dried Tomato Spinach Stuffed Chicken Breast
- Crispy Parmesan Crusted Chicken Breast
- Foolproof Poached Chicken Breast with Ginger Shallot Sauce
Baked Chicken Breast recipe
WATCH HOW TO MAKE IT
Quick video tutorial on how to bake chicken breast!
Oven Baked Chicken Breast
Recipe VIDEO above. My tips for a truly juicy, Oven Baked Chicken Breast: a touch of brown sugar in the seasoning which makes the chicken sweat while it bakes so it creates a semi “sauce”, and cooking fast on a high temp! Go by the colour of the crust to know when it’s baked.
- 4 chicken breasts (, 150 – 180g / 5 – 6 oz each (Note 1))
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 1/2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp dried oregano or thyme (, or other herb of choice)
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp each salt and pepper
- Finely chopped parsley
- Preheat oven to 425F/220C (standard) or 390F/200C (fan / convection).
Pound chicken to 1.5cm / 0.6″ at the thickest part – using a rolling pin, meat mallet or even your fist (key tip for even cooking + tender chicken).
- Mix Seasoning.
Line tray with foil and baking paper. Place chicken upside down on tray. Drizzle chicken with about 1 tsp oil. Rub over with fingers. Sprinkle with Seasoning.
Flip chicken. Drizzle with 1 tsp oil, rub with fingers, sprinkle with Seasoning, covering as much of the surface area as you can.
- Bake 18 minutes, or until surface is golden per photos and video, or internal temperature is 165F/75C using a meat thermometer.
- Remove from oven and immediately transfer chicken to serving plates.
Wait 3 – 5 minutes before serving, garnished with freshly chopped parsley if desired. Pictured with a side of Garlic Butter Rice with Kale.
1. If your breast is quite large eg 250g / 8oz+ each, cut them in half horizontally to form 2 thin steaks and skip the pounding. Make sure they are no thicker than 1.5cm / 0.6″ thick at the thickest point – if they are, pound using fist.
This can also be made with thigh fillets (boneless, skinless). Follow the recipe but cook for 25 minutes for small / medium thighs and 30 minutes for larger ones.
2. Nutrition per serving, assuming 150g/5oz chicken breast.
Recipe originally published March 2018. Updated for housekeeping matters in March 2019, no change to recipe.
* The story and details of the Handcrafted Japanese Knife giveaway that originally accompanied this recipe when published was moved into a separate post because the Giveaway has finished.
LIFE OF DOZER
It’s just hanging there, taunting him. He sniffs at it, suspiciously….