Such a FUN Appetizer + Snack idea!
Made these with the kids one afternoon to satisfy our afternoon nacho craving.
Super, super DELICIOUS! These are great for parties, game day, and weekend snacks too!
I hope you love them as much as we all did Makes about 24 nacho boats
Serving size: 2-3 per person
- 1.5 lbs lean ground turkey or grass-fed beef
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 1 small jalapeno pepper, seeded and diced very tiny
- 1.5 tsps. cumin
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp fresh ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp sea salt, or to taste
- 1.5 cups chunky salsa, all natural, low sugar
- 1/3 cup grated cheddar/jack cheese
- 4 bell peppers, mixed colors
Optional “nacho” topping ideas: sliced jalapenos, diced avocado, Greek yogurt, sliced green onions, and/or cilantro leaves.
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees f.
- Remove the seeds, and membranes from your bell peppers then slice each one into 4-6 verticle pieces as shown (depends on the size of your bell peppers)
- I tried to slice them along the natural folds to keep little pockets/boats for my toppings.
- Set sliced bell peppers pocket side up on a large parchment lined sheet pan.
- Brown ground turkey over medium-high heat in a large saute pan, breaking up with a wooden spoon as it cooks.
- Add in onions, garlic, and diced jalapenos.
- Cook until the turkey is cooked through. Drain off grease if necessary.
- Stir spices and salsa into your cooked turkey. Carefully spoon turkey mixture into the little bell pepper boats.
- Spoon a couple Tablespoons of water onto the baking sheet, this will help steam and soften the peppers a bit.
- Bake for about 12-15 minutes or until peppers are hot and just beginning to soften. I like mine still fairly crisp.
- Sprinkle tops lightly with cheese, and bake for another minute or two until cheese is melty.
- Sprinkle with any toppings of choice, and enjoy immediately.