How often do you think of baking a squash?
I certainly don’t often enough, because as soon as I smell a squash baking in my oven I’m instantly reminded how delicious and simple they are to incorporate into our meals!
Usually, in the fall and winter months, squash is on sale too!
This is a savory, creative, healthy-carb recipe to serve throughout the colder months.
Sometimes I’ll add extra mushrooms, diced spinach/kale or celery when I’m trying to UP my family’s veggie intake, or simply clean out the fridge!
So grab your favorite squash, season it up to your taste, and surprise your family with a unique meal!
No need to tell them how utterly nutritious this creation is – that’s between me & you!
makes about 4-5 servings
- 2 smaller spaghetti squash OR acorn or butternut squash works well too!( cut in half and seeded)
- 1 Tbsp avocado oil, or olive oil + 1 Tbsp to rub squash
- 1 medium sweet onion, finely diced
- 2 fresh garlic cloves, minced or pressed
- sea salt and fresh ground black pepper, to your taste
- 1.5 lbs. ground turkey or chicken
- 1.5 cups diced mushrooms
- 1 cup cooked wild rice
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- a small handful or fresh parsley, finely chopped
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees f.
- Place squash cut side up on a large baking sheet. Spray, or rub lightly with oil and season with sea salt and pepper. Bake for 30-40 minutes, or until fork tender.
- Meanwhile, heat 1 Tablespoon of oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add in your diced onion and garlic and sauté until translucent, stirring occasionally.
- Add turkey, mushrooms, smoked paprika, oregano, and cook, stirring and breaking into pieces, until cooked through 7-8 minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- Taste test your seasonings and adjust, or add sea salt and freshly ground black pepper if desired.
- Gently stir in cooked wild rice and stir to combine.
- Stuff the roasted squash with the turkey-rice mixture, and sprinkle with fresh chopped parsley.
- Once in a while, I enjoy a bit of grated fresh Parmesan cheese on top, too!
- Serve hot and enjoy!
Enjoy and remember to tag me @CleanFoodCrush in your creations! I LOVE seeing how your dishes turn out