I recently asked the question “Team Pumpkin Spice, or Apple Spice?” on my Facebook wall…
I quickly learned that people are incredibly passionate about their Love/Hate relationships with this subject.
It almost turned into a war of words and intolerances for those with different tastes and opinions
I believe that people can be more intense about food than religion or politics, which makes food blogging a battleground at times.
All kidding aside…
take some time to enjoy yourself today + prep ahead a few food items to make YOUR week healthier and more productive!
These Apple Pie overnight oats are basically a hug in a jar.
Not only do overnight oats save you time in the morning, but they’re also much easier to digest than unsoaked oats.
As the oats soak overnight, their digestibility greatly improves.
Overnight as they soak, the starches break down which improves digestibility and the natural phytic acid (which all plants contain) is greatly reduced that makes them more easily absorbed by your body!
For 4 servings you’ll need:
4 – 1/2 pint glass jars with lids, for storing or serving as shown
makes 4 servings
- 1.5 cup old-fashioned oats, NOT steel cut (I used gluten-free)
- 2 cups unsweetened almond, coconut, or cashew milk
- 4 Tbsps chia seeds
- 3 Tbsps pure maple syrup, or raw honey
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 cup apple natural puree (OR no sugar added applesauce)
- 1 small crisp apple chopped or sliced
- 2 Tbsp chopped pecans
- Place all of the ingredients except for toppings in a large glass mixing bowl and whisk until well combined.
- Cover bowl and refrigerate overnight.
- To serve, add 1-2 Tablespoons of the applesauce to the bottom of 4 jars or bowls
- Divide the oat mixture equally among 4 jars or bowls
- Add remaining toppings equally, including another dollop of applesauce (as shown).
- Lasts for 5 days or so, here’s how:
- Seal jars and refrigerate overnight for up to five days for meal prep.
- Before serving, top with your choice of toppings, give it all a big stir, and enjoy!
And YES they are eaten cold, just like pudding…just try it!