Feast your eyes. And your mouth.
Today is dedicated to super basic, super fluffy, bursty blueberry pancakes, and here’s why.
- It’s blueberry season, but not for much longer! Let’s MOVE, people!
- It’s back to school season, which means lazy weekend mornings are every kind of special right now.
- You can fancify pancakes all you want, but can you really ever deny a butter-soaked pancake laced with maple syrup and dripping with hot blueberry juices? If you can, you are probably not human.
You guys are not going to believe this, especially if you’ve watched the Bjork In The Kitchen segments on our Instagram stories, but BJORK was the person who first made these pancakes for me. He went through a phase (it was definitely a phase as it seems to be done for now) where he would make pancakes for me on Saturdays, and in his very professional pancake research and extensive testing – LOLS – he came across this unfancy recipe on AllRecipes for a really good batch of standard, fluffy, buttermilky pancakes.
And do you know what? They are so good that they have permanently become our standard pancake recipe.
These are THICK, so if you don’t like thick pancakes, we might be in a little fight right now. They are just the right amount of sweet and melt-in-your-mouth delicious. The first few times I ate them, I ate them completely PLAIN. As in, no butter, no syrup, no nothing. DO YOU EVEN HEAR WHAT I AM SAYING? They were so good that I was eating. them. plain.
So we were already making these a lot. Sans blueberries, sans syrup. Just plain old LIFE CHANGING pancakes.
But now that we have a Costco membership and are trying to fill our faces with all the nice organic fruits that are filling up our fridge, I have been unable to keep the fistfuls of blueberries out of these pancakes this summer.
And I regret nothing.
Bjork’s AllRecipes pancake recipe base (modified slightly! you know how I am) plus a little assortment of fresh blueberries tucked in there for good measure? This is the stuff of late August Saturday morning dreams.
This recipe serves 2-3 people, I’d say, which is kind of perfect for us because we don’t end up with 800 million pancakes leftover. But keep in mind that that’s coming from a pretty pancake-hoggy person – we make them big and we each eat multiples. If you are planning to more REASONABLE about your pancake life, then you could probably feed closer to 4 people.
Fluffy pancake goodness. Blueberry pockets. Butter. Syrup. Fork. Face. Go.
Super basic, thick and fluffy blueberry pancakes – the best I’ve ever made! Melt in your mouth, golden brown, and bursting with blueberries.
- 3/4 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 1 cup flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 1+ cup fresh blueberries
- more butter for the pan
- Mix the milk and vinegar and let it sit for a minute or two.
- Whisk dry ingredients together.
- Mix in the egg, milk, and melted butter.
- Heat a griddle or skillet over medium heat. Melt a little smear of butter in the pan (essential for giving them a reeeeally yummy golden brown crust).
- Pour about 1/3 cup of batter into the hot skillet and spread it flat-like (it will be pretty thick). Arrange a few blueberries on top. Cook until you see little bubbles on top and the edges starting to firm up. Flip and cook for another 1-2 minutes until the pancakes are cooked through.
- Serve with butter and maple syrup. But honestly, sometimes I just like to eat these plain. YUM, YUM, YUM.
For thick pancakes, use 3/4 cup milk as directed. For lighter, slightly less fluffy pancakes, use 1 cup milk.
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Pan Fry
- Cuisine: American